Welcome to the cultural theory research guide. This guide is intended to help students incorporate cultural theory into their research papers, and to showcase resources in the library related to cultural theory.
A theoretical framework provides a lens that you can use in your research paper or project to talk about art and culture. A theoretical framework connects your ideas to broader areas of knowledge, allowing you to participate in a scholarly conversation and focus on the aspects of your work that you consider important. Building on theory and relating it to your work encourages you and your readers to think more critically about your topic.
How to Develop a Theoretical Framework
1. Examine your thesis
2. Brainstorm aspects of your research or project that bring up questions
3. Do a literature review to see how other scholars have addressed your topic. You can look in course readings, or library resources, including those listed in this guide.
4. Consider how the theory you have selected relates to your thesis
Things to Keep in Mind
1. Make sure you can clearly describe the concepts that make up the theory
2. Make sure the theory makes sense for the context of your paper