Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.


Guide to Canadian Copyright and ECU policies on Copyright


Making a copy of a CD without written permission of the copyright holder is in violation of the Copyright Act. Permission must be obtained from the copyright holder. For example, in a sound recording, copyright subsists in the musical composition, the sound recording itself, and the performance by the artist(s).

However, the library does provide access to a large number of licensed Sound Effects and music that can be used for animation, film, video and other multimedia projects.

Click here for Information on how to access our Sound Ideas Sound Effects Library

Frequently Asked Questions - Video

How can I find a film to screen in class?

The library can obtain videorecordings for your classes, please use the media booking form on the library website to make a request.

Can I show a YouTube video in class?

Yes, see above. You may link to a YouTube video for classroom viewing, as this practice does not constitute making a copy. However, downloading a copy of a video for posting or distribution would be making a copy and would require permission. It is the faculty member's responsibility to ensure the legitimacy of YouTube videos before showing them in the classroom.  YouTube videos and videos from other video sharing sites may contain content not uploaded by the copyright owner and use of these videos endorses copyright infringement, therefore, search for official versions of videos uploaded by the content creator.


Making a copy of a multimedia work without written permission of the copyright holder is in violation of the Copyright Act. In multimedia works, copyright will subsist separately in each of the different media contained within the work, eg. voice, text, video clips, performances, music, etc. Permission to copy a multimedia or audio visual work will require obtaining permission from all of the copyright holders concerned.

Screening films at ECU for movie night, club night, and other special events

The Library maintains two Entertainment Agreements that license the presentation of feature length films on campus. The films presented must be produced by a studio represented by ACF or Criterion Pictures and the presentation must be restricted to the ECU campus and its' members. Movies can be obtained from video clubs, stores, personal collections, public libraries, etc. Advertisement and promotion of the exhibition of films will not include Radio, Television or commercial Newspaper announcements.

  • List of Studios and producers represented by ACF

Screening film and video in class

  • Movies, films, or other cinematographic works can be screened in the classroom if they have been legally obtained (i.e. borrowed from the Library or purchased)
  • Copies must not have had a digital lock broken.
  • A video available on the Internet can be screened (ex. YouTube), so long as :
    • no digital locks or copyright protection mechanisms have been broken in order to access the video;
    • the source of the video is not infringing or making a video available without the copyright holder's consent, and that there is no notice that prohibits the use of the video;
    • you ensure that the source of the work, the creators, and rights-holders are clearly identified and credited;
  • There is no longer the need to ensure a public performance licence is in place when screening films in the classroom.
  • You can show video recordings in the classroom, under the strict condition that such use is for educational or training purposes, is not for profit, and that the screening takes place on the Emily Carr campus for an audience primarily comprised of students, faculty, or staff of the University.       604-844-3840        520 East 1st Avenue, Vancouver, BC