Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.


Guide to Canadian Copyright and ECU policies on Copyright

Digital Course Collections

Publications can be uploaded to a course site in the Moodle LMS or a secure ECU course blog, if the copies fall under Fair Dealing, or comply with the Access Copyright licence agreement, or when permission has been given by the copyright holder, or when permitted by a database/e-journal licence.

To view the permitted uses for images and other content from licensed e-resources, please visit the Library’s A-Z Database page and click on Permitted Uses for This Database.

Posting Links to Online Readings

If you wish to share an electronic article by email or for an online course you should provide a link to the source, the web address or a citation. For example, if you wish to refer a colleague, a student or group of students at Emily Carr University to an article from an electronic journal available from the library send the persistent link to the article or library database. The library subscribes to a large number of full text databases that allow linking in an online course environment.

Proper citing of sources is essential in academic work. However, it is not part of copyright. For more information on citing, consult the library’s citation guide.

How to use persistent links

This short guide provides information on how you can find and insert persistent links from the Library's electronic resources directly into your Moodle or blog course pages, Word and PowerPoint documents, emails, etc.

  1. Search for your resource using the Library Quick Search box
  2. From the Results List click on the resource you want to link to
  3. From an open article, click Permalink in the Tools menu on the right.
  4. Use your browser's copy and paste functionality to copy the link from the Permalink window and paste it into an email, web page, etc.

Only authorized users can access the article. When users follow the hyperlink from a web page, they will be prompted for authentication information.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I upload a PDF of a journal article or other copyright-protected work to Moodle, or a Blog, or other Site?  

  • Yes, you can do this for works that are copied under Fair Dealing, or under the terms of the Access Copyright license agreement, or in instances where you have direct permission, or in instances where you have confirmed that the source in question grants you the rights to do so. Note: when permission has been obtained to directly upload a document or PDF, the content must be posted in a password-protected environment that is only accessible to students registered in your course.

Can I place copies of readings on library reserve?

  • Yes, but only if at least one of the following applies to the copies:
  1. copies are made under the terms of Fair Dealing;
  2. (or) copies are made under the terms of the Access Copyright license agreement;
  3. (or) you have obtained permission and made arrangements with the rights holder of a required reading to place a copy on reserve for your class; 
  4. (or) the work you would like to make copies of are in the public domain; 
  5. (or) the original book / journal which contains the required readings for your students is placed on reserve.  Students are legally able to make copies for their own use from the original source as long as they follow the Fair Dealing copying guidelines. 

Can I copy portions of materials for the purpose of creating tests and examinations?

  • Yes, this is allowed under the exceptions for educational institutions in the Copyright Act:

Can I e-mail copies of articles or digital files downloaded from a database like JSTOR, etc.?

Can I print materials from the Internet to hand out to my students in class?

  • Only within the limits of Fair Dealing. Internet materials are copyrighted and not in the public domain unless you have obtained permission from the copyright holder or they have given permission for that use (ex. Creative Commons licence).

Can I make copies of all or part of a book that is no longer in print?

  • Yes, however, due diligence in obtaining permission from the publisher or rights holder would need to be undertaken first.       604-844-3840        520 East 1st Avenue, Vancouver, BC